Interesting People mailing list archives

more on PDF

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:07:25 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: PDF
Date:   Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:20:41 -0700
From:   Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
To:     Glenn Fleishman <glenn () glennf com>, dave () farber net

At 08:56 AM 11/25/2005, Glenn Fleishman wrote:

I'll have to go research this, but I know that Adobe publishes a PDF spec and
doesn't try to prevent other firms from developing software that has complete
read, edit, and write functionality.

Actually, it does -- via omissions in the spec and twists in the implementation
of Acrobat. That's why it can CLAIM that PDF is an "open" format without
sweating competition. It's also why you only see ONE competing reader ("Ghostview"),
and why that reader often won't properly render documents that Adobe's reader can
handle.

--Brett Glass