Interesting People mailing list archives

Why IP owners should worry]]]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:29:43 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [IP] Why IP owners should worry]]
Date:   Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:44:27 -0500
From:   Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
To:     dave () farber net
CC:     ip () v2 listbox com

Every time IP discussions come up, I find it incredibly useful to go to the source:

-----
Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have power
8. To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries
-----

Not withstanding some (IMHO) bad legislation and case law, and somewhat different international policies, the ultimate test for US IP policy remains: does the policy "promote the progress of science and useful arts?"

Seems to me that open standards pass the test, proprietary standards, for the most part, don't. Same again for open software (the reductio ad absurdum case: picture armies of software engineers having to get patent and/or copyright clearance for each and every line of code).

Miles