Interesting People mailing list archives

Texas files anti-spyware lawsuit against Sony

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:33:32 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Texas files anti-spyware lawsuit against Sony
Date:   Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:57:23 -0500
From:   Steven M. Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
To:     dave () farber net

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Sony-Copy-Protection.html

        AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The state sued Sony BMG Music
        Entertainment on Monday under its new anti-spyware law,
        saying anti-piracy technology the company slipped into
        music CDs leaves huge security holes on consumers' computers.

I'm glad one government agency has stepped forward on this.  To me,
though, the question is why criminal charges have not been filed,
and why anyone thinks that this behavior was in any way legitimate.

The RIAA, which has said that Sony "behaved responsbily", has also
missed the point.  The RIAA said that the "problem with the Sony
BMG situation is that the technology it used contained a security
vulnerability of which it was unaware." (See http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2146389/riaa-head-praises-sony-root-kit .)
Stewart Baker, the assistant secretay for policy at the Department of
Homeland Security (and former general counsel of the NSA) understands:
"It's very important to remember that it's your intellectual property --
it's not your computer."  (http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/the_bush_admini.html )