Interesting People mailing list archives

Sony: >500,000 systems compromised? (fwd)

From: "David J. Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:31:42 GMT

===== Forwarded message from Jonathan Corbet <corbet () killermarmot com> =====

\From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet () killermarmot com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Sony: >500,000 systems compromised?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:08:32 -0700

 From http://www.doxpara.com/?q=sony:

Sony.

Sony has a rootkit.

The rootkit phones home.

Phoning home requires a DNS query.

DNS queries are cached.

Caches are externally testable (great paper, Luis!), provided you have a
list of all the name servers out there.

It just so happens I have such a list, from the audits I've been running
from http://deluvian.doxpara.com .

So what did I find?

Much, much more than I expected.

It now appears that at least 568,200 nameservers have witnessed DNS
queries related to the rootkit.

More on the site, including wild graphics showing the locations of infected
systems.  Food for the class-action lawyers.

jon

===== End forwarded message =====