Interesting People mailing list archives

more on CITI: AT&T Post-Mortem - The Rise & Fall of an Icon, Nov. 14

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 14:25:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dana Blankenhorn <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Date: November 9, 2005 1:33:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] : CITI: AT&T Post-Mortem - The Rise & Fall of an Icon, Nov. 14

How can it be an autopsy when SBC is taking on the AT&T name?

It's like doing an autopsy for Bank of America after NationsBank bought it. Yet all those offices still say BofA, and there's a statue of Giannini still -- it's just in Charlotte.

All that's really happening here is that AT&T is moving to San Antonio, and the company's strategy will be in stronger, more ruthless hands. In fact the new company is just as integrated, and just as monopolistic, as the old Bell System ever was. It's just not regulated anymore.

Ed Whitacre didn't kill AT&T. He recreated it, like Dr. Frankenstein.

Dana Blankenhorn   dana () a-clue com
Editor: voic.us   http://atlanta.voic.us