Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives????

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 09:04:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: gep2 () terabites com
Date: May 8, 2005 1:52:30 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [IP] more on Tech: A 'hostile environment' for US natives????

Ignoring the question of supply for the moment, being a developer is

a business, and like any other business, must have a higher income
than expenses.  For the purposes of my example here, I'm going to use
San Jose, since it has more jobs for developers than anywhere else in
the United States.

[snip]

According to Bank of America's online mortgage calculator, and

assuming a 10% down payment of $65,000 and a 6.5% interest rate on a
30-year fixed rate loan, you will need an annual household income of
$150,000 in order to be able to afford to purchase that median
house.  This is an optimistic number based on no other debt payments
(no school loan, auto loan or credit card payments), and gives a
monthly housing payment of approximately $5,000.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics

(http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_ca.htm#b15-0000), in November of
2003, the average annual pay for computer programmers in California
ranged from $74,040 to $89,000.  Assuming a household that has two
people earning this level of money, they can barely afford to
purchase the median house.

[snip]

Now, based on the idea that developers must compete on price on an

international basis, where do you propose that a developer living in
Santa Clara County should cut their expenses so they can afford to
deliver their services at a significantly lower price?

Let's put a more realistic face on this problem.

I proposed doing some contract programming for a potential client (he runs a service for political activists... I was prepared to even do a chunk of the work on a 'pro bono' basis... but obviously, I have to live and pay my bills).

He ended up hiring a FULL TIME programmer in India, (and who I'll readily grant is probably reasonably competent) who he's paying the "international basis"
price of... are you ready?... $450 a month.

Now, suppose you folks talking about US programmers needing to be "less greedy" and more competitive price-wise with the international competition... tell me just how I can seriously compete with someone in another country who's delighted to do essentially equivalent work for (what to him is a princely salary) $450 a
month?

And more to the point... just which professions here in the USA do you feel are NOT going to subjected to this sort of (crushing!!!!) outsourcing pressure? And do you think that the US economy can survive on those alone, whatever few they
are?

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections! http://stickers.defend- democracy.org 12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.