Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Flag Desecration Amendment Crisis

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:35:03 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Carey <carey () gsi org>
Date: May 23, 2005 6:27:13 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Flag Desecration Amendment Crisis

David Farber wrote:

Begin forwarded message:

From: JGoldstein () urbantechgroup com
Date: May 23, 2005 4:47:25 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Flag Desecration Amendment Crisis

> Why should you care so much about this proposed amendment? It
> infringes on freedom of speech by placing restrictions on the First
> Amendment. It also sets the stage for the government to restrict
> other speech it might disagree with. What’s next? Amending the
> Constitution to prevent people from criticizing the President during
> times of war?

Where is the infringement of speech when the Congress and the States
use the Constitutionally provided amendment procedure to change the
Constitution? If this is something that people feel passionately enough about, then we amend the Constitution and that's that. Its why we have
the amendment procedure, isn't it?

I think the core of it is that the amendment procedure was not provided to support frivolous, political actions of this kind. And I do consider it a baby step in a dangerous direction. The ACLU isn't saying that congress can't do this - they are simply asking us to urge our representatives to oppose this amendment. Sounds like democracy to me,

Rob