Interesting People mailing list archives

RFID in Education: Revolutionary or Evolutionary?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 07:38:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: bob () bobrosenberg com
Date: May 21, 2005 2:08:55 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RFID in Education: Revolutionary or Evolutionary?

Dave

[ irony ]
I feel so much better about RFID's now that I know that "experts" dismiss the
possibility of misuse by bad guys.

[ /irony ]
--

Cordially,

Bob Rosenberg, Principal
R.G. Rosenberg & Assoc.
Public Policy Consulting & Advocacy and
eACE - eLearning Advocacy Civic Entrepreneur
P.O. Box 33023
Phoenix, AZ  85067-3023
LandLine:  (602)274-3012
Mobile:  (602)206-2856
bob () bobrosenberg com
www.bobrosenberg.com

PLEASE NOTE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, a significant number of electrons were somewhat perturbed.

Edu Insight
RFID in Education: Revolutionary or Evolutionary?

Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) is a fast-growing technology that uses tiny wireless transmitters to tag individual objects and uniquely identify them on the network. While early attention has been on RFID's impact on supply chain management, the technology will also play important roles in education, health
care and research.
http://see.sun.com/Apps/DCS/mcp? r=70043grF4DqxL012000416Te043grF0mka80kaBp&=1

SELECTED EXCERPTS [and my comments]:

RFID is yet another example of Metcalfe's Law. Though the chip transmits nothing more than a unique number, when connected to a network like the Internet, its value multiplies. "In the future, everything of value will be on the network in one form of another," says John Fowler, Software CTO of Sun Microsystems. "And once they're on the network, we can aggregate data from those diverse devices, and then deliver that data to equally diverse devices — in informative and
compelling ways."

[I agree that it can be *compelling*... as in *chilling* freedom of speech and
freedom of association]

University libraries have been the first institutions on campus to implement RFID, for many of the same reasons that Wal-Mart has employed the technology — improved inventory tracking, faster checkout (employee or self serve), reduced
theft and better information on which to make strategic decisions.

["...better information on which to make strategic decisions" -- Perhaps which
students to follow, to raid their rooms, to tap their phones.]

Implementation of RFID technology on campus still faces a number of challenges,
both technological and social. Perhaps the biggest issue with current
implementations in university libraries in one of privacy and security. RFID technology will enhance efforts to monitor individual usage patterns, perhaps setting off a security flag when a student checks out a chemistry book with bomb-making information within days of a book on radical fundamentalism. The Electronic Frontiers (sic) Foundation is concerned about potential abuses of RFID technology that it says could create an "architecture for a surveillance
society."

["...setting off a security flag when a student checks out a chemistry book with bomb-making information within days of a book on radical fundamentalism." Well, I suppose some of the bad guys are that dumb -- but, I wouldn't bet money on
it.]

And, as in the early days of wireless, there is concern that someone could use an unauthorized receiver to capture information from RFID tags as they pass by. Experts, however, dismiss this possibility as unlikely. Other concerns center around the trackability of tags after they have left the bookstore. To address
this issue, Phillips is making customer-killable tags.

["Experts, however, dismiss this possibility as unlikely." I'm happy to learn that "Experts" dismiss this. wonder what the alphabet groups like EFF, EPIC,
etc. think of those "Experts".]