Interesting People mailing list archives

: Setting history straight: So, who really did invent the Internet?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 17:40:42 -0500

------- Original message -------
From:  <Newmedia () aol com>
Sent: 2/5/'05,  9:20

Ian:

The "Internet" that many people care about isn't really captured by the things you list as the key ingredients.

Indeed, if the application you describe -- people communicating through computers over an connection of networks (i.e.
internetworked email) -- was all there wa
s to it, then I suspect that few of the books you reference would have ever been written and most email would still be
exchanged on AOL.

If you ask the question, "Why do people care that there is an Internet" you might come up with some different
definitions and some different answers.

It strikes me that applications that made the Internet "important" enough to be widely noticed rely on simple networked
access to files -- across operating syst
ems -- which some have called Network Computing.

Actually, for the record, some have said that I "coined" that term in the title of a report I wrote as a Wall Street
analyst in August 1988 -- "Network Computin
g: The Next Wave."

Best,

Mark Stahlman
New York City