Interesting People mailing list archives

Domain Owners Lose Privacy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:10:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Paul Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:34:43 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>, <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Domain Owners Lose Privacy

It is no response to a complaint about free speech violations to say
that there is some other way to speak, or to say that if you want to
remain anonymous, don't enter into any agreement with an ISP because you
always leave traces behind.  One had might as well say, don't use the
Internet either because you leave traces on the server.....

The real question, it seems to me, is presented by the third point
below -- are the concerns that are advanced as a reason for this new
rule sufficient to outweigh the imposition on speech rights?  Surely the
goal of preventing "abuse" is laudable, but is the fit between the goals
and the means tight enough?  Is there no way to accomplish the goal
without barring ANY person from staying anonymous?  How efectively does
the means accomplsih the goal?

Those are the questions that ought to be addressed .....

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
(202) 588-1000
http://www.citizen.org/litigation

David Farber <dave () farber net> 03/04/05 01:53PM >>>