Interesting People mailing list archives

Flyer Beware: Heavy Fines Assigned For Carryon Contraband

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:42:49 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:20:13 -0500
To: <undisclosed-recipient:;>
Subject: Flyer Beware: Heavy Fines Assigned For Carryon Contraband

Hank Investigates

Flyer Beware: Heavy Fines Assigned For Carryon Contraband

Air Date: 03/02/2005
Reported By: Hank Phillippi Ryan
Producer: Mary Schwager

Targeting all air travelers: the Feds are cracking down on the
contents of your carry on bags!

Most passengers don't know it, but If you break the rules, you could
face a hefty fine and have your name entered in a secret database.

Kirk Roth's business trip out of Manchester airport cost him much
more than his plane fare.

First TSA Screeners discovered a utility knife like this in his bag.

"So I was a bit embarrassed that I had overlooked the fact that it
was in the briefcase," Roth said.

But then the unexpected consequences: he was hit with a hefty fine
and given a record with US homeland security.

Our investigation found he's one of thousands of travelers now caught
by a little known TSA system to punish passengers who break the
carry-on rules, not only with fines, but also with automatic
placement in a secret government database.

According to the TSA, regular citizens cannot find out if their name
is on that list.

http://www.whdh.com/features/articles/hank/DBM1305/

------ End of Forwarded Message