Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Academics thrash out open access details

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:09:14 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Scott Bradner <sob () harvard edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:59:53 -0500 (EST)
To: <bob.hinden () nokia com>, <dave () farber net>, <kelley () rakfoundry com>
Cc: <sob () harvard edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Academics thrash out open access details

there are a number of commercial tools as well that do this

Scott

----
From bob.hinden () nokia com  Wed Mar  2 16:29:43 2005
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:28:58 -0800
To: dave () farber net, kelley () rakfoundry com
From: Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () nokia com>
Cc: bob.hinden () nokia com, sob () harvard edu

Dave, Kelley,

I support this in principle, but as all of us in higher education
experience firsthand, plagiarism is rampant. And, as The Chronicle of
Higher Education reported not too long ago, it happens far too often
_among_ professionals. I wonder what the ramifications might be on that
front? Uni administrations aren't likely to care: they want numbers so they
can measure output. I'm from a number-crunching profession myself, but...!!

Regarding plagiarism, I had an interesting discussion with Scott Bradner
who teaches at Harvard.  He had built some tools that took portions of a
students paper and did a google search.  It was easy to detect plagiarism
if it came from online sources.

It may be that making academic papers available on the internet will reduce
the amount of plagiarism because it will be easier to detect it.

Bob

------ End of Forwarded Message