Interesting People mailing list archives

Got a light? (Not if you're flying...)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:02:14 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Greg W. Brooks" <gregb () west-third com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:47:17 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Got a light? (Not if you're flying...)

Davem for IP if you wish.

Passing through Philadelphia airport today, I saw TSA signs stating that
lighters and matches will no longer be allowed past security after
mid-April. Nor will they be allowed in checked baggage.

Either alone would be just another blip  in the endless stream of TSA
pseudosecurity. Together, they mean many smokers will  pay a  TSA tax (in
the form of a new lighter purchase) after every trip.

Not the end of the republic, certainly - but rather pointless given the
empty slate of match- and lighter-related security problems on passenger
flights.

A sidebar: I've carried a small digital camera in a Zippo lighter form
factor for several months - a gift from colleagues who got tired of hearing
me complain about not having a camera when I need one. I relish the chance
to debate a screener over its fire-starting capabilities.

Regards,
Greg Brooks
West Third Group
www.greg-brooks.com