Interesting People mailing list archives

more on H5N1 Bird Flu: 70% mortality w/ 175 million deaths?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:17:37 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:10:33 -0500
To: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>
Cc: Jock Gill <jg45 () mac com>
Subject: H5N1 Bird Flu: 70% mortality w/ 175 million deaths?

Dave,

[A follow up on yesterday's post -- for IP if you wish.]

I blogged this on GD's blog.

<http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/archives/000350.html>

H5N1 Bird Flu: 70% mortality w/ 175 million deaths?

  The Observer, the magazine of the English paper The Guardian, has
today published "On a wing and a prayer".

  snip

  'We think it is only a matter of time before H5N1 or a related strain
of the virus becomes infectious between humans,' Professor John Oxford,
a virologist at the Queen Mary and Westfield School of medicine in east
London, had warned me before I embarked for Vietnam. 'When that happens
it will be too late to do anything about it, which is why we have to
prepare now. Forget al-Qaeda, the biggest terrorist threat we face
today is Mother Nature.'

The entire article is at:
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,1440214,00.html>

Jock Gill
Meme Intelligence
jock.gill () memeintel com
"Cooperative gain from collective behaviors at the edges."

------ End of Forwarded Message