Interesting People mailing list archives

A Sense of Proportion 2: Harvard et al. offer free education in ethics/consequences

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:29:13 -0500

I disagree with Esther on this one. djf

------ Forwarded Message
From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:59:51 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] A Sense of Proportion 2: Harvard et al. offer free
education in ethics/consequences

For IP -

Another thing people seem to be forgetting is that there is no "right" to
go to Harvard or any other business school.  It's not as if the government
were denying people their social security benefits or admission into the US
(other, more deservedly hot topics).

It seems to me that the big lesson here is that yes, mostly innocent (let's
be kind) impulsive actions *do* have consequences.  The experience of
losing something you worked for because of some possibly minor, impulsive
infraction will likely be a free yet extremely valuable education for each
them, spent contemplating the knowledge of what might have been.  I would
imagine most of them will emerge better for the experience, and probably
all the more worthy of reconsideration for further *paid* education at any
of these institutions.

------ End of Forwarded Message