Interesting People mailing list archives

Dutch vote on EU constitution and issues it raises

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:40:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Date: June 4, 2005 2:16:38 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Subject: Dutch vote on EU constitution and issues it raises

Hi Dave

I thought IPers would be interested in an article I wrote for OhmyNews
about the Dutch vote on the EU constitution.

The overwhelming sentiment of people voting no was that the process of the creation of the constitution was not democratic, did not involve the citizens of Europe. How will the EU and the citizens of the EU deal with this challenge? The issues this raises are interesting and important ones, not only for the citizens of the EU. How to extend democratic participation and influence in politics for citizens is a more general problem of our times.

The article, written just after the vote was announced is online at:

"What We Want Is More Democracy"
[Analysis] Voters in the Netherlands resoundingly vote 'no'
              by Ronda Hauben

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp? no=229709&rel_no=1

with best wishes

Ronda

P. S. A new blog has been begun about the problem of creating a more
participatory press in the US, something like OhmyNews in South Korea.
The url is:
http://www.netizens-news.blogspot.com

I hope to post about the study I am doing about how to extend democracy through greater participation there and welcome others to participate.