Interesting People mailing list archives

Time Inc. Statement on Handing Over Documents

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 00:09:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: June 30, 2005 9:47:26 PM EDT
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () g2-forward org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Time Inc. Statement on Handing Over Documents

Time Inc. Statement on Handing Over Documents
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/30/politics/30text-time.html? pagewanted=print

Following is a statement from Norman Pearlstine, Editor in Chief of Time
Inc., regarding the decision to hand over documents in the investigation of
the leak of a C.I.A. operative's name.

"The First Amendment guarantees freedom of the press, including the right to
gather information of interest to the public and, where necessary, to
protect the confidentiality of sources.

Time Inc. believes in that guarantee. That is why we have supported from the outset the efforts of Time magazine reporter Matt Cooper in resisting the
Special Counsel's attempts to obtain information regarding Mr. Cooper's
confidential sources. Time Inc. and Mr. Cooper have fought this case all the
way from the district court to the Supreme Court of the United States.

In this particular case, where national security and the role of a grand
jury have been at issue, the Supreme Court chose to let stand the district court's order requiring Time Inc. and Mr. Cooper to comply with the Special Counsel's subpoenas. It did so after the United States Court of Appeals for
the District of Columbia affirmed that order.

In declining to review the important issues presented by this case, we
believe that the Supreme Court has limited press freedom in ways that will
have a chilling effect on our work and that may damage the free flow of
information that is so necessary in a democratic society. It may also
encourage excesses by overzealous prosecutors.

It is unfortunate that the Supreme Court has left uncertain what protections the First Amendment and the federal common law provide journalists and their
confidential sources.

It is also worth noting that many foreign governments, including China,
Venezuela, and Cameroon, to name a few, refer to U.S. contempt rulings when
seeking to justify their own restrictive press laws.

Despite these concerns, Time Inc. shall deliver the subpoenaed records to the Special Counsel in accordance with its duties under the law. The same Constitution that protects the freedom of the press requires obedience to final decisions of the courts and respect for their rulings and judgments. That Time Inc. strongly disagrees with the courts provides no immunity. The innumerable Supreme Court decisions in which even Presidents have followed orders with which they strongly disagreed evidences that our nation lives by
the rule of law and that none of us is above it.

We believe that our decision to provide the Special Prosecutor with the
subpoenaed records obviates the need for Matt Cooper to testify and
certainly removes any justification for incarceration.

Time Inc.'s decision doesn't represent a change in our philosophy, nor does it reflect a departure from our belief in the need for confidential sources.
It does reflect a response to a profound departure from the practice of
federal prosecutors when this case is compared with other landmark cases
involving confidentiality over the past 30 years. Since the days of Attorney
General John Mitchell, the Justice Department has sought confidential
sources from reporters as a last resort, not as an easy option. Neither
Archibald Cox, the Watergate Special Prosecutor, nor Judge John Sirica
sought to force the Washington Post or its reporters to reveal the identity
of "Deep Throat," the prized confidential source.