Interesting People mailing list archives

partisan politics and major league baseball?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:39:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: June 27, 2005 8:18:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: partisan politics and major league baseball?

There's been a lot of discussion on this list about how excessively
partisan the country has become.  Things may have reached a new low:
some Republican members of Congress are threatening hinting at problems
for major league baseball if it should allow George Soros -- a
prominent anti-Bush businessman -- to buy the Washington Nationals.

    "I think Major League Baseball understands the stakes," said
    Government Reform Chairman Tom Davis (R), the Northern Virginia
    lawmaker who recently convened high-profile steroid hearings. "I
    don't think they want to get involved in a political fight."

The story was reported in Roll Call, which is subscription only; the
gist of the article is summarized in a blog at
http://www.prospect.org/weblog/archives/2005/06/index.html#006915
I've read the original article; the blog's excerpts accurately reflect
it.