Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:16:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: June 27, 2005 6:57:07 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Unclear on American Campus: What the Foreign Teacher Said

Dave,

The appropriate distinction is whether the student is a native speaker of English.

Since 1991, Pennsylvania has required all students whose native language is not English to pass a language certification test before being allowed to teach undergraduates. Carnegie Mellon applies the requirement to teaching graduates as well.

Carnegie Mellon explains the requirement as, "Any student who is not a native speaker of English should be tested regardless of citizenship. US residency or citizenship is no guarantee of English proficiency. A Canadian student who is a native English speaker does not need the test; a French speaking Canadian does."

TOEFL, on the other hand, does not have "passing" grades, but rather scores. Each admissions committee can decide for itself how to interpret those scores and what other information to consider.

Experience has showed us that English proficiency that is good enough to succeed in a PhD program does not necessarily assure sufficient proficiency to communicate effectively in a classroom.

The Carnegie Mellon test has four possible outcomes that authorize different levels of interaction with students, from "grading only" to "ready to TA (but may need training in teaching skills)".

Mary