Interesting People mailing list archives

from Dyson more on ICANN's "ex-ex-ex" domains and the slippery slope (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:05:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Date: June 3, 2005 1:05:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on ICANN's "ex-ex-ex" domains and the slippery slope (fwd)

yes, I would be much happier if they had approved a bunch of them, including .sex, .porn, .bank, .fin and the like... allowing for genuine competition among TLD operators with competing and *differentiated* rulesets.

Right now much of the competition is mostly based on price and worst- wins sleazy business practices.

Will every registrar have the right to register names in .xxx? (though that question might be more germane relating to .bank and .fin, which could compete on the basis of strong security)

I also share the concern over the possibility of censorship as opposed to incentives.... pretty soon anything "troublesome" may well get pushed there, whether it's sex, politics, health advice or sheer bad taste.

Esther Dyson (former chairman of ICANN, wish I had left a better legacy)