Interesting People mailing list archives

don't take high-quality photos....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:27:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: June 16, 2005 8:57:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: don't take high-quality photos....

By chance, today I saw two interesting -- and in a sense contradictory
-- articles on digital photography.  The first was straight-forward
enough: it spoke of the virtues of some of the new digital SLRs,
especially the Nikon D50, of which it said one can take "big,
bright, sharp, professional-looking photos, with ultra-sharp subjects
and gently blurred backgrounds."  Not a surprise, and it's likely
to attract buyers, possibly even me.

The second article was the flip side, and it's one of our favorite
betes noirs: overly-aggressive enforcement of copyright laws.  It
seems that commercial printing operations are required to watch
for attempts to print copyrighted pictures without authorization.
Guess what -- good equipemnt, photoshop, and talent can produce
false positives...

Steve Noble, who's in charge of regulatory affairs for the Photo
Marketer's Association, noted "We've got a law written back in the
1970s and we're trying to apply 2005 conditions to it."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Photo-Printing- Frustration.html