Interesting People mailing list archives

more on "DRM"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:02:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson () RealMeasures dyndns org>
Date: June 16, 2005 10:43:15 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on "DRM"

Hello David,

Simon's phrasing "Constitutionally protected Rights" encapsulates
his deception.  There's nothing in the Constitution that
"protects" the rights granted under the exclusive rights clause
in the sense people usually think of rights protected by a
Constitution.  The part of the clause he leaves out is "The
Congress shall have Power . . . " -- which demonstrates that the
Rights in question are statutory, not the fundamental rights one
might think he's presenting language in support of.

We settled this question with our first major Supreme Court
copyright case, Wheaton v. Peters.  The fact that it's up to
Congress to devise what exclusive rights policy will best promote
the progress of science and the useful arts, is a bubble many
"DRM" proponents would like to burst.

The term "DRM" works the same sort of deception.

Seth Johnson

Begin forwarded message: