Interesting People mailing list archives

Cleverer than usual virus emails...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:37:37 -0400

On Jun 13, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Robert Raisch wrote:

Dave,

A company I know has received several complaints from its employees of virus-carrying messages that appear to come from the employee's own domain, its subject is "Important Notification", the message carries a viral trojan within its "account-info.zip" attachment and the body says the following: (Note I have changed the name of the recipient's domain to "[Domain]" within the message)

--

Dear [Domain] Member,

Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your membership.

Virtually yours,
The [Domain] Support Team

--

It appears the virus takes the name of the intended recipient's own domain and uses it to rewrite the content of the message, making it appear legitimate. So if the recipient's email address was "user () example com", the message would start with "Dear Example Member," and end with "Virtually yours, The Example Support Team"

Needless to say, I find this simple search/replace a fascinating indication of things to come.

/rr