Interesting People mailing list archives

"unused" portion of their DSL lines to broadcast video signals.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:25:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Damien V. Del Porto" <damien () delporto org>
Date: June 11, 2005 7:07:41 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on The Digital TV Fiasco

This is slightly off-topic but relevant I think.

For the last few months, Spain's former telephone monopoly has been using the "unused" portion of their DSL lines to broadcast video signals. There are some 40 channels (there are only 5-7 channels available over the air and w/o satellite). The DSL line charges, which are between 30 and 40 €, subsidize this service, which is 12 € per month. I mention this because, while we dont have HDTV here, the quality is quite good. The service also includes an on-demand videoclub (with a horrible selection of movies...unless you're into adult-themed movies) and PPV soccer games. From what I understand, the service is using 4 Mbits or so of the total 6-8 available. The base subscriber package is 512/128 (which will be doubled for free next month to 1M/320), and can scale up to 2.

Is anyone in the US trying this approach? Does anyone know whether an HDTV signal could fit into the DSL bandwidth? -d

Link: http://www.telefonicaonline.es/imagenio/

Begin forwarded message: