Interesting People mailing list archives

more on if this is the same bill we talked about Accuweather is STRETCHING the truth

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:10:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dennis Allison <allison () shasta stanford edu>
Date: June 9, 2005 1:39:16 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on if this is the same bill we talked about Accuweather is STRETCHING the truth

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, David Farber wrote:

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>

It's the same bill.  Section 2(b) says "The Secretary of Commerce
shall not provide, or assist other entities in providing, a product
or service (other than a product or service described in subsection
(a)(1)) that is or could be provided by the private sector".

                     ^^^^^^^^

This is incredibly broad language.  By my reading, taken literaly, it
would prevent the Secretary of Commerce from providing any product or
service other than those specifically called out in subsection (a)(1)
since it is reasonable to expect that any product or service the Commerce
Department is able to provide could be provided by the private sector.