Interesting People mailing list archives

Reconciliation of drinking age and age to join military

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:24:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: June 1, 2005 4:04:10 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Reconciliation of drinking age and age to join military

Dear Dave,

In reading the myriad articles and now federal proposal that states should be forced to lower the drinking age to the minimum age for entry into the military---all on the grounds that is someone is old enough to defend their country (shoot people legally) they should be old enough to drink---it seems to me that the discrepancy should be reconciled by going the other way, to wit: the minimum age to be able to defend your country (shoot people legally) should be increased to the drinking age. In most cases that would be 21. Having served in the military as a medic in the USAF during Vietnam I can tell you unequivocally that war depends on a healthy supply of mature hormones and immature brains (teenagers) and that the older one becomes the less likely he is to serve himself up for cannon fodder. The only person in the White House calling this war’s shots that ever served in a war was ostracized and was forced to quit. The rest of them wheedled out of combat service. Someone should do some research to find out if this is the only war in our history declared by and managed by people who never fought in a war.

I will never forget a scene in the movie, Nicholas and Alexandra. I don’t know if it was a book. A Bolshevik sergeant is escorting the Csar’s family to Siberia, aboard a train. He goes to a platform between the cars to smoke a cigarette. The Csar follows him out, also to smoke. The sergeant and Csar smoke, together, mute. Finally the sergeant says to the Csar, “All my life I thought you were an evil man. These last few days I have spent with you have shown me that you are not evil at all. You are simply a man utterly without imagination.”

Robert Lee