Interesting People mailing list archives

more on 2 on FROM INTEL -- responding to continuedmis information on IP

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:05:40 -0500

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        RE: [IP] more on 2 on FROM INTEL -- responding to continuedmisinformation on IP
Author: Marc <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date:           9th June 2005 4:48:31 am

I am shocked that people who watch this industry are not aware of the
meaning of "support."

Support is not a technical term - it is marketing-speak.

If 'Intel "supports" DRM', that means that they actually DO NOT HAVE DRM
technology. That's what the marketing folks want the target market
(MPAA/RIAA) to think/believe. It MAY mean that they have some hooks in the
instruction set that COULD be used by DRM, or that the instruction set has a
flexible architecture which could support the later addition of DRM, or in
extreme cases, has no DRM potential at all, but then we all know that
NOTHING is IMPOSSIBLE, and therefore they COULD potentially support DRM if
someone threw enough money and time at the problem.

In these contexts, support actually means "does not/may never have," as
opposed to its more expected connotation of "may have with little
effort/change."

Much like virtual means "not real;" notice that technology marketers have
transformed the meaning of virtual to mean "almost real," or even so far as
to mean "better than real." "Virtually all users see massive productivity
gains!" = 1 user saw massive productivity gains (possibly, but not likely
due to the use of the product).

Marc Aniballi

- A genius is simply the first person to point out the obvious.