Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FROM Intel REPLY Intel quietly embeds DRM in it's 945 chips firmware

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:25:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Beck <cbeck () pacanukeha net>
Date: May 31, 2005 10:19:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, "Whiteside, Donald M" <donald.m.whiteside () intel com> Subject: Re: [IP] more on FROM Intel REPLY Intel quietly embeds DRM in it's 945 chips firmware

Dear Dave, Donald,

Rumour has it David Farber, on or about 31/05/2005 8:05 PM, whispered:

From: "Whiteside, Donald M" <donald.m.whiteside () intel com>
I don't want to get into a public debate with your ip audience. DTCP-IP
is broadly licensed.  YES, you do need to pay the license fee and sign
the license to get access to certain parts of the spec; namely the
crypto 'secrets'... standard practice in this space...

With all due respect Donald, it is comments like "standard practice in this
space" that really get people going.

I don't know if Bruce Schneier subscribes to this list but I'm sure he could go on in great and interesting detail about exactly why security through obscurity doesn't work and that the fact that it is standard practice in that space is more of an insult than an excuse. I think I can sum up the shortcomings of the
idea in one word (OK, one acronym :)

deCSS

Cheers,
Chris

PS - Donald, I am more than happy to not spam your inbox and leave replies
striclty to IP if that suits you better.
--
Chris Beck  -  http://pacanukeha.blogspot.com
understand, v: To reach a point, in your investigation of some subject,