Interesting People mailing list archives

Al Gore Receives Webby Award for Lifetime Achievement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:34:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf () sethf com>
Date: June 7, 2005 11:28:49 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Al Gore Receives Webby Award for Lifetime Achievement

[For IP, if worthy. In fact, Dave, I recall you made a contribution here -
see http://sethf.com/gore/ ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/07/arts/extra/06webby-extra.html? ex=1275796800&en=d5bd87493a66a4c4&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Al Gore Receives Webby Award for Lifetime Achievement

   By DAVID CARR
   Published: June 7, 2005

   One of the more charming idiosyncrasies of the Webby Awards, the
   annual awards for achievement in Web creation, is that recipients
   get five words, and five words only, to make their acceptance
   speeches.

   So after a night full of award innuendos and one-line haiku at
   Gotham Hall in Manhattan, the 550 people in attendance were
   wondering how Al Gore, the former vice president, would respond to
   his lifetime achievement award.

   He did not disappoint.

   "Please don't recount this vote," he said. The place went nuts.

   Mr.  Gore, who was politically savaged during the 2000 presidential
   campaign for a remark that seemed to imply that he had created the
   Internet, was introduced by Vinton Cerf, a man who has a more
   legitimate purchase on that claim. Mr. Cerf, one of the scientists
   credited with having built the Internet, had his own five-word
   speech - "We all invented the Internet" - before pointing out that
   Mr. Gore had been responsible for spearheading critical legislation
   and providing much-needed political support, which is not exactly
   creating a paradigm shifting piece of technology, but is not bad
   for a politician.

   Mr. Gore, by virtue of his résumé, was dragged back to the dais to
   say a few more words.

   "It is time to reinvent the Internet for all of us to make it more
   robust and much more accessible and use it to reinvigorate our
   democracy," he said, again to thunderous applause.

--
Seth Finkelstein Consulting Programmer sethf () sethf com http://sethf.com
Infothought blog - http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/