Interesting People mailing list archives

more on middle-aged white females

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:36:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: anitaclaremadsen () netscape net (anitaclaremadsen)
Date: July 26, 2005 5:01:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on middle-aged white females

Thank you for explaining the mathematical reasoning behind random searches that do not exclude any "intuitively" low-risk groups. The "counter-intuitive" is obviously not obvious.

For air travel, assume:
1. finite security resources;
2. random searches;
3. higher level searches of individuals who are flagged (for current and future flights) by computers as "risks" for such suspicious behaviors as buying one-way tickets - including, for example, students returning to college or returning home from college, individuals moving to take new jobs or to retire to another state; 4. thoughtless people who store their luggage in the garage too near their gardening fertilizer.

It would seem that a reasonable level of air safety from terrorist threat will be accomplished. Over time, only brain-washed suicide bombers will have the patience to stand in line for hours whilst all of the above groups are screened repeatedly, because once entered into the computer security risk database, there they remain flagged for future flights. That is, assuming the airlines are still in business and have not fallen victim to mass paranoia and to the justifiable concerns of innocents of being added to the security-risk database.

As a personal anecdote, I bought a one-way ticket to return to my hometown after two years living elsewhere in the U.S. Since that time, I (yes, a middle-aged, white professional female) have been repeatedly put through the "full treatment" on every flight I have taken. I estimate 2.5 hours of wasted security resources in the past 18 months spent unpacking and packing my checked and carry-on luggage, wanding and patting me down. I'm delighted to be reassured that the senseless stigma of being apparently forever labeled as a "security risk" is a patriotic act that makes everyone feel safer.

Israel has experienced terrorist/suicide bombers for more than half a century. Although its air security is reputed to be the best, it has simply diverted suicide bombers to other targets: hotels, cafes, school buses. In 50+ years, Israel's enemies have not run out of fanatical volunteers.

We are at war with an enemy we cannot or refuse to identify. Thus, the working logic seems to be that anyone can be the enemy.

I am not reassured.

Begin forwarded message: