Interesting People mailing list archives

Headlines about Icann news emphasize control

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:38:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Wiggins <richard.wiggins () gmail com>
Date: July 2, 2005 6:42:37 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Headlines about Icann news emphasize control

Dave,

Yesterday I asked IP if Icann's role in the DNS is overstated in the
media -- if the media confuses Icann's management of the DNS with
managing all traffic on the Internet, and if that leads the ITU and
Europe and others to the wrong conclusion about Icann.

To my astonishment, people arose to defend Icann and its PR.

Please go to Google News and search for:

 Icann

Here are the headlines you will see:

US to Retain Oversight of Web Traffic
CBS News - 2 hours ago

US not to give up Internet control
Pakistani Newspaper, Pakistan - 16 hours ago

TechSpin: US Controls Web
Red Herring, CA - Jul 1, 2005

US decision on Internet's key computers draws mixed response from ...
DetNews.com, MI - 15 hours ago

US reneges on DNS pledge
VNUNet.com, Netherlands - Jul 1, 2005

US to Retain Oversight of Web Traffic
India Daily, NJ - Jul 1, 2005

Crispy vulture beats bald eagle
Register, UK - Jul 1, 2005

Web Oversight Decision by US Gets Thrashing
TechNewsWorld, CA - Jul 1, 2005

10:25 am: US decision to retain oversight of Internet's backbone ...
Santa Fe New Mexican, NM - Jul 1, 2005

US Keeps Control Of Internet Computers
NewsNet5.com, OH - Jul 1, 2005

Now, please folks, read today's headlines -- read the text of those
headlines --  from around the world, and tell me what the world
outside the United States now thinks of Icann, and Internet
governance, and the United States.

Icann should make a statement clarifying what its role is, and what
its role should be -- and what its role is not.  I believe that
statement should say that Icann's role is to resolve Internet domain
names to IP addresses, and nothing more.

/rich