Interesting People mailing list archives

U.S. Will Offer Doctors Free Electronic Records System

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:12:26 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dana Blankenhorn"<danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
Sent: 21/07/05 10:05:35 AM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] U.S. Will Offer Doctors Free Electronic Records System

This doesn't really tell the story.

HIPAA let small offices that did not fully computerize an opt-out of their
complex requirements.

Thus most small offices have chosen to avoid computers.

They don't want the potential liability. They don't want an easily-followed
trail.

And this hurts patient care.

I can't reach my doctor online. I can't exchange e-mails with him. Chances
are you can't, either. I have to call, get a message through his
gatekeepers, and hope to win at telephone tag to get the simplest questions
answered.

The reason has to do with fear and potential liability, not cost.

Dana Blankenhorn   dana () a-clue com
Mooreslore Blog    http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/
ZDNet OpenSource    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/index.php
Editor: voic.us, A-Clue.Com http://www.voic.us http://a-clue.com