Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Connected: Verizon puts your privacy in precarious position

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 06:37:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: July 17, 2005 12:31:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Connected: Verizon puts your privacy in precarious position

This works both ways. In moving my distinct ring to a separate line in order to make it portable I was in effect signing up for new service and they wanted my birth date for credit verification. I don't like giving out any information but you're in a bind. If you limit the amount of information used for verification that small amount is easy to obtain and it makes "identity theft" easier.

Giving the information out risks more of it being there but I hope that it's different aspects and they are not correlated. They very well might be but for those who do that there are lots of ways to gather it -- just make a deal with
Disney for your biometric for that matter.

I don't have a simple answer except to learn to hide in plain sight (or plane
site?)

BTW, making a number portable by shifting it to a simple account is a useful hack for going to VoIP but then today's VoIP is really faux telephony given the limitations on PSTN bridging but at least I can get more redirect options and do
have the ability to use IP connections.