Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Perl guru Chip Salzenberg sued, home raided [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:45:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Glenn Fleishman <glenn () glennf com>
Date: July 1, 2005 11:25:19 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Perl guru Chip Salzenberg sued, home raided [priv]

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but 12 years ago, perl guru Randal Schwartz had a similar experience and was found guilty 10 years ago. In trying to bring it to the attention of his then-contract employer Intel that they had incredibly weak security that jeopardized his business, he was made an example of. There was no evidence at trial that his intent was anything but to improve Intel's security. Nonetheless, he was found guilty under Oregon law, paid hundreds of thousands in legal fees and recompense (for Intel to fix their broken systems,
apparently), and is an ex-felon.

John S. Quarterman wrote this summary back in 1995 as part of Matrix News: <http://www.cs.uidaho.edu/~frincke/research/security/articles/ schwartz2.txt>

Randal never served a day in jail: he received five years of probation with 90 days to be served at the end, but, as many of us know, he's an exemplary citizen and the jail time was waived. I and a number of other folks wrote letters to the outgoing governor of Oregon a few years ago asking him to pardon Randal for a non-crime -- a crime of good intentions with bad documentation and permission,
let's say -- but the governor demurred.

Chip's experience should remind white hats and gray hats that it's very easy to cry "computer crime" and have local, state, and federal authorities go a little crazy. Chip probably should have consulted or retained an attorney before sending the whistle-blower letter, although it's easy to see that he thought
forthright truth would win.
--
Glenn Fleishman
seattle, washington