Interesting People mailing list archives

more on todays wp - for IP - role of innovation in makingeconomycompetitive,finland; contrast us trends

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:27:19 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dana Blankenhorn"<dana () a-clue com>
Sent: 14/07/05 12:02:18 PM
To: "dave () farber net"<dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on todays wp - for IP - role of innovation in makingeconomycompetitive,finland; contrast us
trends

Anyone familiar with the Internet's history knows that what John Kemp says
is at least somewhat misleading.

The government does fund basic R&D heavily, through military agencies like
DARPA, and through civilian agencies like NASA.

Some of that has gone into direct hires, some has gone to Universities. The
Internet is a direct result of this process for fostering innovation.

We have had many notes on this list in the last few years bemoaning the fact
that this system is under systematic budget attack by the government, which
is now taking a more short-sighted view of its DARPA funding efforts, and a
far more political view on its private funding efforts.

It would be great to know the standards used by the Finnish agencies. I
suspect they are fairly objective, based on cutting-edge potential and
possible profitability.

Personally I would love to trust our government. I can't right now. But if
we had a more honest, less corrupt, and more transparent governmental
system, it would be good to return to our own version of the Finnish model,
which we ran as recently as the 1990s.

Dana Blankenhorn   danablankenhorn () mindspring com
Mooreslore Blog    http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/

[Message truncated. Tap Edit->Mark for Download to get remaining portion.]