Interesting People mailing list archives

SFGate: VERISIGN/On the Record: Stratton Sclavos

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:13:17 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:08 -0800
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: SFGate: VERISIGN/On the Record: Stratton Sclavos

This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/09
/BUG22AFFKP47.DTL
Sunday, January 9, 2005 (SF Chronicle)
VERISIGN/On the Record: Stratton Sclavos

   In 1995, Stratton Sclavos and RSA founder Jim Bidzos created VeriSign as
spin-off that issued digital certificates, acting as an Internet notary
public. Today, VeriSign secures online transactions and is branching out
into handheld entertainment, radio frequency ID tags and other up-and-
coming technologies. As VeriSign's chief executive officer, Sclavos has an
unparalleled view of the Internet, its strengths and weaknesses. We talked
with Sclavos about the rising sophistication of online crime, his
company's squabbles with the Internet oversight authority and the
challenges of being a parent in the digital age..
   Q: VeriSign is in a lot of businesses now. Is there is a vision that ties
all these things together?
   A: What we have really been about over the last five years is assembling
set of assets that all plug together to make what we call intelligent
infrastructure.
   If you look at the Internet, we're through the first 10 years of this
massive growth, (with) more people getting on and more messages being
sent. We think we're at an inflection point where there's too much
complexity and too much usage to do things just by adding more pipes. So
the intelligent infrastructure we do sits above the pipes and below the
applications and the services and makes things more efficient.
   We route .com and .net addresses 14 billion times a day. We secure 400,
000 Web sites so people can communicate with their customers. We process
credit cards for those same Web sites so they can take the money and put
it in a bank account.
   Five years from now, whether it's radio frequency ID tags on Gillette
razors or Web addresses for .com and .net or phone numbers that have
become voice-over IP as opposed to traditional telecom switches, we'll
have those big directories running inside VeriSign data centers that make
all that stuff connect and interoperate.
   Q: Why should such important infrastructure be handled by the private
sector?
   A: We are a regulated business in .com and .net service. We have over the
last five years invested $200 million in research and development and
capital equipment to completely rebuild that network. You need to fuel
innovation to keep this infrastructure growing, and I don't think the
government would be well suited to that.
   We were here before the Internet explosion. We're here after the burst of
the bubble. And in those nine years, the machines have never been down,
and we've taken the systems from being able to handle about 20 billion
interactions a day to now, (when) our top capacity is north of 200 billion
a day.
   There are people at VeriSign who will work 24 hours a day if even one bit
of the database that we manage gets corrupted. And we will do anything in
our power to fix it within seconds if we can and minutes if we can't.
   We have shared our technology and our software-monitoring tools with the
Department of Homeland Security since almost its first days. They can see
the network the same way we do. We just agreed to the same kind of
provisions with the European Union to give their new security-monitoring
center these kinds of tools. We're probably five to six years ahead of
where these governments would be in thinking about how to monitor the
network. And we're trying to bring them all up to that same level of
visibility.
   Q: What is your role in the Department of Homeland Security and are you
involved with the war on terrorism?
   A: We are an avid participant in their information-sharing private-public
partnership. We provide them tools that we have designed so that they can
see the network and its trouble the same way we can, and then we're
involved in certain forensic activities on an as-needed basis.
   Q: What would something like that entail?
   A: If we process 35 percent of North American e-commerce, we manage 14
billion Web connections a day. We manage the firewalls and intrusion
detection centers for some of the largest financial service companies in
the world. We see all the network traffic and all the network problems. So
we've become an early warning system in many respects for a lot of what
governments as well as commercial interests are looking for.
   Q: Is this about cyber-terrorism or helping the government when they're
looking for the source of terrorist money?
   A: It's really all of those things. You are looking at the digital
equivalent of money laundering and espionage and commercial competitive
information. All those things that we talk about in terms of physical
terrorism or just criminal financial activity we are now seeing on the
network.
   We're in the very earliest stages of understanding just how much of that
activity can be found quickly enough to do something about it.
   Q: Can you talk about the rise of common scams like phishing (scam e-
mails that trick people into revealing financial information)? Doesn't
that dwarf any other kind of crime online?
   A: It's a very real threat. It tends to be small economic value
multiplied
by potentially millions of people. So it's a big deal, and it undermines
confidence in going online. The thing I'm actually more interested in
watching is the fraud (we are seeing) on these networks at an escalating
rate. From what we can tell, (they) are coordinated attacks. If you watch
what's going on, the number of fraudulent transactions that are programmed
and automated from the Eastern Bloc, from Indonesia, from these various
places, it's just mind boggling. It's no longer teenage hackers in a
garage trying to rip off credit cards. It is coordinated, organized crime.
   Q: Can you explain how an automated fraud attack works?
   A: These guys are very clever. They will go out on the network and find
machines that are sitting there always on, generally broadband
connections, and they will deposit code that sits dormant. Then they will
build an application that tries credit card numbers. It's very easy to
build a program that knows that a Visa card has 12 digits. You start at
000 for all the digits, and then you move it up incrementally. And you
attack Web sites that have low- value digital goods and services. These
guys would attack the Web sites from the robotic machines they would take
over, and then they'd hit on a number that's good. Every time there's a
successful transaction they immediately use that number on some high-value
site. You can actually find Web sites that teach you how to do this stuff.
   Q: What do you mean by coordinated attacks?
   A: We didn't realize until we started doing some work that our credit
card
transaction-network service and our .com and .net service were actually
seeing the same fraud.
   They attack these machines on the network and take them over as robots,
and then those (computers) start sending tons of spam out. Then you start
to see credit card fraud. And lo and behold, there is a one-to-one
correlation between the IP addresses where the spam is coming from and the
IP addresses that are sending out the attacks.
   Q: What's the protection for that? Aren't there patterns you can detect?
Or do they just route it through so many machines there is no pattern?
   A: I actually thought we were going to be able stop it like this (snaps
his fingers). That we would be able to detect enough of what was going on
and through education and monitoring, we'd be able to see it.
   These guys are much better than I thought. One clue might be, you're told
to go to paypal.com and you click on a link in your e-mail, but the Web
browser address bar actually has some other string in it. We've seen them
write Java code that superimposes a string on top of the actual address.
   Q: How new is that?