Interesting People mailing list archives

National Rsearch Council survey of Network Science

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:51:44 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Will E. Leland" <wel () research telcordia com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:41:54 -0500 (EST)
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: National Rsearch Council survey of Network Science

Dave,
If you judge it appropriate, could you forward this invitation to the
IP list and ask IPers to pass it along to their network research
colleagues?

Thanks,
-- Will

Dear Colleague,

We are writing to ask for your help on a U.S. National Research Council
(NRC) study on "Network Science" that we re serving on.  The goal of the
study is to describe the current state of the art in network science and
make recommendations that can be used to guide decisions about future
directions in this area within the federal government.  The study has a
broad charter, including understanding the connections between
engineering, biological, social, financial and other network phenomena.
The initial funding for this study comes from the Department of Defense,
but the National Research Council (as part of the independent National
Academies of Science) believes that our report will have a significant
impact on the entire field, so we are especially interested in obtaining
a wide range of views.

To help us get a mapping of the current activities in the field, we have
put together a short web-based survey that we are asking researchers in
the field to fill out.  The survey should only take a short while (10-15
minutes) to complete and would be a great help in making sure that we
understand the current work that is going on and some of the important
research directions that should be pursued.

The survey is available at

    http://www8.nationalacademies.org/survey/deps/networksci2.htm

I hope that you can help out on this study by taking the survey soon,
as we are beginning some initial analysis this month.

We also invite you to forward this invitation to other network science
and related researchers.

With appreciation,

Will E. Leland, Chief Scientist
Network Systems Research Lab, Telcordia