Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Copyrighting Cease and Desist Letters?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 20:34:14 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy () eff org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:26:51 -0800
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Copyrighting Cease and Desist Letters?

Hi Dave,

We've seen a few of these copyright or confidentiality claims on
cease-and-desist notices submitted to Chilling Effects, but we've
never had any problems posting the letters.
<http://www.chillingeffects.org/>

We feel confident that posting annotated letters to help people
understand the legal claims doesn't violate any of the senders'
rights -- and we have seven major law school clinics and EFF on board
with the project.  We're currently posting 870 notices sent to
individuals and companies like Google.  Some of these are valid legal
claims; some are spurious threats meant to chill legitimate speech.
Our annotations aim to help people tell the difference, and to show
the "chilling effects" of bogus threats.

Thanks.
--Wendy
--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy () seltzer com || wendy () eff org
Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation