Interesting People mailing list archives

Caution suggested during NSF "virus scans"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:32:40 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: George Sadowsky <George.Sadowsky () internews org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:02:15 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: Caution suggested during NSF "virus scans"

Dave,

For IP if you like ...

The National Science Foundation now has a policy that if you visit
their building in Ballston and if you have a laptop with you, you
must have it "scanned for viruses" even if you don't plan to open it
up.

I carry a Mac G4 15" Powerbook running OS 10.3.6.  I've gone through
this process twice at NSF.  The first "scan" appeared to consist of a
staff member seeing my anti-virus program and recording my MAC
addresses (Ethernet and wireless), possibly for retroactive diagnosis
in the event of problems.

However, during the second scan, I was also asked if I wanted to have
my computer enabled for wireless access, and I said "sure."
Everything worked well that day, but when I returned to my hotel
(Quality Hotel Courthouse Plaza and Suites - do not stay there, zero
wireless), my list of ISP dial-up numbers had disappeared, my
Ethernet driver had disappeared, and my modem software had  become
flawed and did not work.

Fortunately I had my portable hard disk with me, and was able to
replace the relevant corrupted module the next day.  But I was going
directly from NSF to Algeria, and if I had not discovered this before
getting on the plane, it could have been a mini-disaster.

The next time I visit NSF, I will either claim that I have no laptop
with me (regardless of whether I do or not), or I will watch their
virus cleaner like a hawk and make them explain exactly what they are
doing at each step of the way.

George Sadowsky

------ End of Forwarded Message