Interesting People mailing list archives

Ruling gives cops leeway with GPS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:12:24 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:42:03 -0800 (PST)
To: <dave () farber net>
Cc: <ghicks () metis cadence com>
Subject: Ruling gives cops leeway with GPS

Dave:

For IP if you wish...

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=322152

Ruling gives cops leeway with GPS
Decision allows use of vehicle tracking device without a warrant

By BRENDAN LYONS, Staff writer
First published: Tuesday, January 11, 2005

In a decision that could dramatically affect criminal investigations
nationwide, a federal judge has ruled police didn't need a warrant when
they attached a satellite tracking device to the underbelly of a car
being driven by a suspected Hells Angels operative.

All Times Union materials copyright 1996-2005, Capital Newspapers
Division of The Hearst Corporation, Albany, N.Y.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin

------ End of Forwarded Message