Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cingular spamming mobile phone customers via SMS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:45:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Genny Pershing <gennypershing () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:41:19 -0800 (PST)
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: [IP] more on Cingular spamming mobile phone customers via SMS (fwd)

Pursuant to Sec. 14 of the Can Spam Act, the FCC has
jurisdiction of email to SMS spam.  I believe that the
FCC believes that SMS to SMS spam falls under the TCPA
- in other words, their jurisdiction to.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/tcpa.html You can
file a complaint with the FCC at
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html#general  SPAM
to Wireless Phone is opt-in by law.  In other words,
unless you have opted-in, it is illegal.  There is no
exception for carriers; they do not get to spam their
subscribers.  See FCC press release
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-244843A1.doc