Interesting People mailing list archives

Development Gateway Award:

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:40:18 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Vinton G. Cerf" <vinton.g.cerf () mci com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:40:23 -0500
To: farber david <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: FW: Development Gateway Award:

Dave,

Something you might consider putting out on Interesting People.

Vint

Vinton Cerf, SVP Technology Strategy, MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115
Ashburn, VA 20147
+1 703 886 1690, +1 703 886 0047 fax
vinton.g.cerf () mci com

Deadline Extended in $100,000 Development Gateway Award

Global Competition to Recognize Information Technology¹s Role in Development

February 15, 2005 ­ The Development Gateway Foundation is extending the
deadline in its global competition to reward outstanding achievement in
using information and communication technologies (ICT) to improve people¹s
lives in developing countries. The new deadline for this year¹s $100,000
Development Gateway Award is March 15.

³This competition is a global search for excellence, and we are taking every
measure to find the highest-impact application of ICT to win this award,²
said Development Gateway Chief Executive Officer Alan J. Rossi. ³Then in
June, we will profile the winner and runners-up to demonstrate for all to
see the results that can be achieved using ICT to improve people¹s lives.²

This year, as the number of Internet users worldwide surpasses the 1 billion
mark, about half of those users will be in developing countries. ³I strongly
believe that access to ICT can change the lives of the poor dramatically, if
we can ensure access to ICT for the poor,² said Grameen Bank founder
Muhammad Yunus, winner of the 2004 award.

Grameen Bank-Village Phone was chosen from over 200 nominees for the 2004
Development Gateway Award, then known as the Petersberg Prize. The award
recognized Grameen¹s innovation in combining microfinance and mobile
telephone service to help create a new class of women entrepreneurs in
Bangladesh who raised themselves from poverty while providing rural villages
with essential communication services.

For the 2005 competition, please go to www.developmentgateway.org/award
<http://www.developmentgateway.org/award> for more information and
nomination forms. Nominations already submitted can continue to be updated
at this site.