Interesting People mailing list archives

creationism and theocracy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 05:52:38 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:46:49 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: creationism and theocracy

About a week ago, Neil Munro asked why IP readers consider creationism
"much more offensive than the crummy math & science scores".  The
answer, I think, is that it's a symptom of a push to turn the U.S. into
a theocracy.

There was an even scarier incident in the same vein a few days ago:
the Arkansas House, on a near-party-line vote, rejected a resolution
affirming the separation of church and state.  One Republican is quoted
as saying "It's clear that our founding fathers, that they wanted
Christian beliefs.  The separation of church and state is not in our
Constitution."  (http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=513718)

I think that this is the true divide today.  It's not economics or
class; rather, it's the willingness of many (but by no means all) to
use the power of the state to impose their religious beliefs.

  --Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

------ End of Forwarded Message