Interesting People mailing list archives

more on House Passes Bill to Raise Indecency

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:55:23 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Chris Savage <chris.savage () crblaw com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:21:16 -0500
To: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] House Passes Bill to Raise Indecency

From: owner-ip () v2 listbox com [mailto:owner-ip () v2 listbox com] On Behalf Of
David Farber
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:14 PM
To: Ip
Subject: [IP] House Passes Bill to Raise Indecency

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:48:10 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: David Isenberg <isen () isen com>
Subject: House Passes Bill to Raise Indecency

<snip>
On one of the panels a speaker said that Supreme Court had "red lined" the
principle that the FCC trumped the first amendment. I tried to look up the term
but couldn't find a definition (I presume that all words are in legalese and not
English). Is it similar to Black Letter Law -- something that is just assumed
without there being a doubt?<<
Bob,
What Powell was talking about was a case from the Œ60s known as the ³Red
Lion² case.  (One of the parties was ³Red Lion Broadcasting²). That case
basically held that the degree of 1st Amendment protection applicable to a
given medium depended on the technical and other characteristics of the
medium.  Over-the-air broadcasting is traditionally subject to less 1st
Amendment protection because of (a) its pervasiveness and (b) the supposedly
limited amount of spectrum available, imposing greater ³public interest²
obligations on those who hold it.
We can (and probably should) debate the continuing validity of this line of
cases, but I think Powell is correct that the ³law² of decency applicable to
unencrypted, free, over-the-air broadcasting is different from that which
applies to cable, or print, or the Œnet, or whatever.
Chris S.
This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you believe that you have received the message in error,
please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the message
without copying or disclosing it.