Interesting People mailing list archives

more on A return to the Intelligent Network

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 17:32:17 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: December 4, 2005 1:17:24 PM EST
To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak () dimebank com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] A return to the Intelligent Network

On Dec 4, 2005, at 09:30 , Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
You'd think
that Cisco, of all companies, would understand that there's far more
money to be made by (almost) everyone with the "dumb network" model.
They made all their money at the expense of the "intelligent
networks" folks and now they themselves seem intent on repeating the
downsides of the POTS approach (worse, without POTS's advantages)

I guess we're revisiting the bad old days of IBM, where 'nobody
ever got fired for specifying IBM', even when there were better
technical solutions on the market.

I do think that's not the case here. One of the parts of the article that I elided was a note that cisco's mkt share was sliding from 85% to around 50%, and they are looking for ways to reëstablish dominance.

But this is an unfortunate approach to take.