Interesting People mailing list archives

Firms haggle over video on demand

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 05:28:22 -0500

How sure can I be that my credit card info is really secure if I use them? djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: November 30, 2005 10:00:47 PM EST
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: Firms haggle over video on demand

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Steve Schear.  DLH]

From: Steve Schear <s.schear () comcast net>
Date: November 29, 2005 8:47:46 PM PST
To: "Dewayne-Net Technology List" <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>

From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: November 27, 2005 10:12:02 PM PST
To: dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] Firms haggle over video on demand

***Music industry insiders who view iTunes $0.99 per tune pricing
as an
annoying ceiling, might instead be wise to thank Steve Jobs for making
it a floor... the "single-price" model prevents the music industry
from
cutting its own throat via price competition.

Its worse than that for the music industry as there is unauthorized but apparently legal (at least for the moment) price competition. Take a look at http://www.allofmp3.com. Tracks from over 25,000 albums available in a wide variety of user-selectable encoding formats and data rates priced at $0.02/MB.

Steve

Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>