Interesting People mailing list archives

more on re: At Stake: The Net as We Know It

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:40:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Beck <cbeck () pacanukeha net>
Date: December 17, 2005 7:23:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] re: At Stake: The Net as We Know It

Rumour has it David Farber, on or about 17.Dec.2005 18:31, whispered:
Begin forwarded message:
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: December 17, 2005 5:35:22 PM EST
From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: December 17, 2005 2:28:55 PM PST
To: dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] At Stake: The Net as We Know It

As broadband use grows, the Bells and cable companies say that
intensive users aren't paying their fair share. File-sharers swapping

I don't get this. Perhaps it is different here in Canada. Most "high-speed" providers have multiple tiers - a basic, a middle and a top. Only the top tier has unlimited bandwidth, the middle tier pays x/GB over the limit and the bottom
tier pays (x+y)/GB.  So anyone whining about how I am stealing someone's
bandwidth can shut the f*ck up because I am paying for it, at a price that _they_ set. And the introduction of unlimited downloads/uploads is relatively
new (last 2-3 years).

Again, when I call hosting companies, they all talk about 1/10/100/1000 Mb/s guaranteed, with burstable ability up to x, and a monthly traffic limit of y
with extra charged at z.

It seems to me like Telcos signed contracts, under their monopoly terms, with no input from customers, and now customers are abiding by the terms of their deal and the Telcos are complaining: here is a hamburger, that will be $0.79, thank you sir/ma'am, enjoy your burger. OMG HE ATE THE HAMBURGER THIEF THIEF!!!!

Excuse me?

--
Chris Beck  -  http://pacanukeha.blogspot.com