Interesting People mailing list archives

World Cup tickets [possibly for IP]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:54:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tony Wasserman <tonyw () acm org>
Date: December 14, 2005 3:27:55 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: World Cup tickets [possibly for IP]

IPers:

A new round of tickets for the 2006 FIFA World Cup went
on sale on December 12th.  If you go to the FIFA World Cup site at
http://www.fifaworldcup.com to order tickets, you are required to provide your full name, passport (or national ID) number, mailing address, email address, MasterCard (no Visa or Amex accepted) information, and last, but not least, the team that you are supporting. This information is required for each person
in your party.

As part of the purchase process, you must approve of FIFA's use of your
personal information, though you can request that they not provide information
to third parties.  This approval is needed for their compliance with the
Data Protection laws of the EU and the various countries in which they
are selling tickets.

In my whole life, I have never seen a site that presents more of a risk for identity theft. With stadium capacities up to 100K and a total of 31 games,
FIFA will accumulate quite an extensive database.  If I were inclined to
try hacking into a system, I can't think of any target that would be much
more attractive than this one.

Tony Wasserman
Executive Director, Center for Open Source Investigation, and
Professor of Software Engineering Research
Carnegie Mellon West
Moffett Field, CA 94035