Interesting People mailing list archives

credit card rip-off (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:45:06 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: December 10, 2005 8:33:17 PM EST
To: "'Matt Murray'" <mattm () optonline net>, dave () farber net, Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com, BobIP () bobf frankston com
Subject: RE: [IP] credit card rip-off (fwd)

A quick search http://www.ecomxpo.com/Bio/Bio_RFernandes.htm

http://www.webloyalty.com/

which takes us to http://www.webloyalty.com/rewards-programs-clients/

welcome to the real world of retail and sales. Of course the senior doesn't
live at the call center.

I was going to send a comment about why hospitals don't make better use of computers -- having been in the MIT Medical Decisions Making group thirty years ago and watching how amazed people are by even a dollop of computing in the medical arena it's another reminder that that you need to understand the characteristics and realities of each kind of business. As long as we take an all or nothing approach to using computation rather than allowing incremental learning by doing we'll have real barriers to implementation.
The hospitals know their business -- until they can casually add
computational capabilities they'll be in the position of having to hand
control over to those strange computing systems and that's asking too much.

For now watch the battle over the Telecom -- an industry that only exists to the extent it can control what its users do and extract value. Today the
battle is to take 3G from cellular and bring that control to landlines.
Here we do know the power of incremental improvement and decoupling
elements. Replacing the cellular protocols with off-the-shelf routers is
something we understand because computer people and networking people are
of the same cultural yet bellheads and netheads still can't communicate
with other and communicate is more than exchanging uninterpreted bits. And
Congress can't conceptualize peer-to-peer.

Change is hard -- takes a generation to refresh the knowledge pool and
trying to change more than one bit per generation is asking a lot.