Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Princeton to launch DRM'd textbook program MAKING A KILLING djf

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:02:28 -0400

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 09:53:10 -0400
From: Tice DeYoung <ticed () bellatlantic net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Princeton to launch DRM'd textbook program MAKING A KILLING
 djf
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ticed () bellatlantic net
Dave,

I agree with Ted's grandson. It makes no sense to buy something elctronicall for marginally less than you can get new and in hard copy and have it expire shortly thereafter. Furthermore, you can always re-sell your hard copy textbooks, thereby recovering the difference. What about notes in the margins, highlighting, doodling, etc., something most people do? This is one of the silliest uses of technology I've heard about in a long time and shows the fallacy of DRM better than many thousand word essays. I still have most of the textbooks I bought years ago. I'm hoping to go back over them after I retire and re-learn some of the Physics I've forgotten.

Tice